Stealth Player Development

My MicroISV. Where software development and pornography collide...

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Moving to Production Pains

Most developers know that you can expect problems moving from a development environment to the production environment. Well, Stealth Player has been no different. I’ve been moving from my all in one development machine to the truly distributed production machines, and it’s been a pain!
I’ve successfully put half of the equation into place. I currently have my “media finder” application running and posting the results through a web service to my site. However, getting the client (Stealth Player) to work in with my hosted account is creating the biggest headache.

The problem has to do with dynamically downloaded assemblies. I thought I had figured out all the intricacies, but it just won’t work, and I’ve wasted enough time on it. So, because I get a FileNotFound (IT SHOULD BE F*CKING FOUND!!!) error when loading the assembly from my hosted web account, I’ve decided to move on. I’m going to spend tonight integrating the Updater Application Block from MSDN. I’m concerned this might raise the OS requirements for the client app. At first I really wanted Stealth Player to work down to Win95, but at this point I don’t want to deal with the hassle of supporting older OS’s. Besides, StatCounter.com has shown that 80% of my site visitors are using WinXP.

Because I’m starting a MicroISV, I have a LOT to do. I think it’s important that I move on. I can’t try to conquer the world, I can’t serve every OS, and I can’t spend 10 hours solving a technical problem when I could just use a less elegant work around in 4 hours.. I have to keep telling myself – “End users don’t care how it works, they just care that it works”. Got to keep on moving forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home